RECIPE: Zuwai Kani Tamago Zosui (Snow Crab & Egg Porridge)
We made this super Umami porridge when we wanted something delicious fast and we needed to clear leftover soup base and rice.
It was so tasty that we made it again and again with different soup bases (even without any leftovers to clear~)
Ingredients, for 2 pax:
Soup Stock*, 1L
1 cup of uncooked rice, cooked (i.e. 3 cups of cooked rice) OR 1 pack of Cooked Rice
3 eggs, beaten
Soup Stock, 1L:
We made a simple Dashi using only Kombu for the video as there is seasoning and sauce in the canned Zuwai Kani. For the video, we used 1L of water + approx 10G Kombu (we cut a portion of Kombu for the video, but you can use the 1/3 packet of Cut Kombu for better measurement).
If you prefer a super savoury porridge, or if you have leftover soup stocks to clear, you can use it in the place of Dashi. We recommend these soup bases: Yuzu Tsuyu, Yose Nabe, Asari & Hotate Puchitto.
You can use anything as long as the volume is approx. 1L (it's okay to have more soup because the rice will absorb the soup).
1. Add cooked rice to soup stock of your choice in a pot and bring it to a boil, stirring occasionally
2. Once the soup comes to a boil, drop beaten eggs into pot drizzle by drizzle so that the eggs don't clump much. (If it does, just stir it)
3. Strirring occasionally, you can add more water or soup stock to adjust consistency of porridge to your liking.
4. Once the porridge is cooked to your liking, switch heat to low and add Zuwai Kani.
5. Fold the Zuwai Kani into the porridge and mix well.
6. Switch heat off after 1 minute.
7. Add Shoyu or salt to taste if needed.
8. Serve! We served the porridge with a side of Bonito Moroheiya (recipe)