Hotate (Wild Caught, Sashimi-grade Scallops) / ほたて
- Sashimi-grade, wild caught, air-flown from Japan
- These scallops are dry packed, which means that they are not plumped up nor whitened with the use of chemicals that are commonly found in scallops in major markets. Hence are safe for sashimi consumption. Learn the difference.
- 1 KG per box, approximately 28 to 30 pieces.
- Now comes in 250G and 500G packs too (**please note that packs are by weight, not by number of pieces. The bigger the scallop, the lesser the number of scallops in each pack)!
- Ready stock available for delivery within 24 hours
- Best consumed in sushi, as sashimi or chirashi
- Convenient for cooking and tastes great blow-torched (aburi)
- Flash frozen for freshness
- Can be kept up to 2 months in the freezer
- Remove desired number of scallops, wash and leave it out to defrost for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing into sashimi slices. Each scallop is equivalent to approximately 2 to 3 slices of sashimi, can be sliced thinner for carpaccio.
- Note: Sashimi grade scallops are best flash frozen at -40°C. The process kills parasitic worms that fish/scallops are host to but doesn’t break down the flesh, so the meat remains fresh.